Sunday 8 July 2012

Twentyfour12, Newnham - July 2012

Photobucket

Two weeks ago I wasn't sure if I would be able to compete thanks to a chest infection. Great, several weeks of training could possibly go down the pan. Not wishing to give up so easily I tried a 100mile sportive with a colleague which started slowly and after 40miles we parted ways and I finished in a respectful time. Despite constant coughing and generally feeling a bit rubbish I still had energy in the legs. From this moment I knew it would be game on!

Yesterday's conditions made it one of those Marmite days in the riding world. I didn't do a practice lap on the Friday as I didn't see much point given that the course would continually change and I already knew a lot of the tracks from previous races. More importantly I wanted to save what energy I may have in my legs. The weather had taken a turn for the worse on Friday night and amber weather warnings turned red. Heavy rainfall during the night soon take it's toll on the course which would mean ever changing course conditions. The river levels rose which meant that some course modifications were made on race day allowing us to only use the narrow footbridges. It also seemed to take it's toll on several Gazebo's including the large Cycle Surgery one!

Untitled


I've never done a 12hour event before so didn't really know what to expect or how I to approach but with some help from the SingleTrackWorld forum any concerns I had would soon disappear. I made a last minute decision to put a MudX on the back rather than the fast- trak I had originally hoped would be sufficient and a Captain up front. Then it was time to line up and wait for the countdown to begin.

The first couple of laps went pretty well and I was feeling reasonably quick. The course was wet and muddy but there was plenty of grip to be had and I was slowly working my way up the field. There was no better feeling than popping off the rocks on the cottage run, pumping through the bomb holes or overtaking a group of riders on the last grassy decent with the back wheel loose but under control. Happy days. On the third lap it was obvious that the track was changing, and not for the better. Sections were becoming difficult to ride and it got to the point where walking was quicker than riding. Thankfully some of these sections would be re-routed later on and those that were kept would be maintained by the marshalls who did an awesome job throughout the event.

Photobucket


I planned on stopping every 3.5-4 hours to sort myself out and have some proper food. Talking to Huw Thomas on twitter he said that he had alternative foods as well as gels to break it up a bit [although he would've been doing the 24 hour event]. Although being a serious rider he may have stopped track side briefly I came off track and back to camp to east some pasta, taking a 15minute break which I think made a massive difference! Whilst the gels helped to ease my constant coughing they were becoming a little monotonous.

A few more laps under my belt and I could feel myself getting slower not helped but the worsening of the course. Several sections of the course now had a close resemblance to evostik and I was pushing only to stop every few metres to clear my front tyre. Three laps later and I'm pulling over again to put my lights on and have a bite to eat. I made the decision to put a MudX on the front, a decision I wasn't comfortable to begin with as they aren't the greatest on roots, which Newnham has plenty of, but pushing was getting harder than riding. A few issues with getting the tubeless tyre sealed and I was eventually on my way although I think I had stopped a lot longer than I had thought.
Photobucket

The seventh lap already felt quicker and was riding more sections without clogging up. I felt confident of finishing at midnight which I hadn't thought possible on the run up to the event. On the start of the eighth lap aching shoulders starting taking their toll and I had shooting pains between my shoulder blades and my right hand was struggling to grip the bars. After several sketchy moments and I knew this would be my last lap. By the end of it I could barely hold my bike so was probably the best decision but now can't help but feel that I should've tried for that last lap even if had to walk it. That said I was happy with the final result lying in 10th position.

All in all it was an awesome event put on by a well organised team. Hats off to all the other riders, a great bunch who helped keep the muddy misery at bay. Would I do this type of event again... definitely, providing I maintain my fitness I could only improve. A few lessons learnt such as tyres and I should make a time saving.Book me in for 2013!

Next up... Brighton Big Dog



No comments:

Post a Comment