Sunday 30 September 2012

Rowans Hospice - The Ruby Ride

A requirement of my work is to periodically undertake pre-qualification questionnaires in order to get get onto the tender lists for the local Housing Associations. One of the questions was what do we do for charity. We've always given to charity however we decided that this year we would make more of an effort and actually take part. Kenn, the managing director has always given generously to Rowan Hospice and therefore it seemed fitting to take part in one of their events.
Photobucket

The Ruby Ride consists of 3 distances - 3.5, 30 or 60 miles. My colleague Shaun caught the cycling bug earlier this year and I've been watching him constantly improving so it seemed fitting that we would do the 60m route. Terry, our office manager is runner but wanting to take part she dusted off her bike and took on the 30 mile route.
On the day of the event we arrived early so that we could register and get straight to the start line. 9 o'clock came around and the first wave of riders were off on their way down through Portsmouth. Eventually we roll up to the line, wait for the klaxon and we're heading off down through the picturesque scenes that Portsmouth has to offer...
Both Shaun and I were taking it steady, overtaking a few of the riders who had set off before us and being overtaken by some of the faster riders from behind. We took it gently down through the centre of town bringing us down to Southsea where the ability to ride on a road rather than cycle path meant we could start over taking a few more people... and again be overtaken.
I kept trying to tell myself that this isn't a race, it's going to be a Sunday stroll of a ride but with every rider that past my antlers [as the brother in laws calls it] were getting bigger and I just wanted to take these guys on. We rode in a group of five for a a few more miles, heading up through Eastern Road and then in the direction of Havant. Around Bedhampton Shaun could see that I was itching to go and  told me to go for it. Slightly concerned that I may waiver after 30 miles as happened on the Garmin Ride Out I thought sod it and went for it. Within no time I was heading up towards Portsdown Hill doing some overtaking. After this we were finally getting onto the quieter back roads, any nervousness could disappear and the enjoyment of being out on a day where the elements weren't against us could be appreciated.
Heading up towards Petersfield I could no longer see any other cyclists in front of me. I thought I just needed to catch up with them so tried going a bit faster than I normally would but to no avail. Part of the requirement of this event is to check in at feed stations and get a card stamped. as I was directed to the feed station in Petersfield I was greeted by some massive cheers only to be told I was the first rider through.
It's not a race but I was treating it as such from this point and I was going for it. You don't get prizes at the finishing line but there is always Strava!!

I continued on my way, sometimes waivering, questioning whether I was on the right route if I hadn't seen route signage in at least 5 minutes. Hills seemed to be getting bigger or perhaps they were the same size as previous hills but tiredness was now taking over. It wouldn't be long until I was dropping down to Porchester but before that I had one last short but steep climb looking back I could see the green top of another rider. I'm trying to stamp on the pedals to keep this rider at bay but by the time I drop down onto the A27 he's on my tail and pushing hard to pass me. I'm struggling to keep up but take a few moments to gather my breath at a red light. On the approach to Lakeside he starts pulling away over the bumpy path that surround the pond. As we turn the final corner he was well in front and I try to sprint to minimise the gap with fruitless results. We cross the line to a mass of cheers and I get off the bike to that familiar robot walk routine.
Photobucket
Many thanks to Rowans Hospice for putting on the event and to all my sponsors it's not too late to give a   little extra of you're feeling generous - Team KSA donation page

Strava route - clicky

No comments:

Post a Comment