Monday 15 April 2013

Southern XC Rd 1 - Matterley Basin

 photo 1363812882_zps3a52d3c1.png
I haven't raced the mtb in a while so decided to have a go at the Southern XC events. Matterley Basin is a new course for 2013 designed by UK Biking and is better known as the British Motocross Grand Prix venue. The week before the event was pretty appalling weather-wise and  it should have been a complete wash out but on arrival it was clear to see that the course had held up well judging by the look of the other racers. With the sun out there was also a great risk of racing in shorts and s/s jersey! 
 photo b3767040-5946-44ad-9094-8473f6fa2688_zps5833c8e0.jpg


After signing up I went for a practice lap / warm up. I had concerns about the initial climb from the start arena, as I'm not quick off the gun and I always find grassy climbs a killer. A short decent on a fire road takes you into the woods where you instantly have fun on the singletrack sections. A few roots would provide the entertainment for the day with a few spills from those racing in the Open Male category. The singletrack was quite tight but provided a fair few opportunities for passing but it would be the gravel climb near the end would be an ideal place for picking up the pace and gaining a few positions. 

I met up with Chris Noble and before we knew it we were on the starting grid waiting for the gun. The speed of the Sport's category from the start is all too familiar and I soon find myself in the back of the pack going up the first climb. Once in the woods I feel more comfortable and overtake when possible. A few people were getting caught out on the roots and there was a lot of nervous braking going on. The descents were going well but I was slightly nervous about the grip of my Racing Ralph. 

In no time at all we were on the gravel climb and I was picking off a few riders. The number boards now had category labels so it is now easier to spot who was in your category. I  maintained my position all the way to the start arena. After climbing the grassy field disaster struck when sealant started spurting all over my legs. It didn't seem to be sealing so I stopped to help it. The Sport riders that I had overtaken were now going passed and now I had to play catch up not knowing if I was in last place or not. Luckily the tyre stayed up and I was able to catch and pass a few riders through the singletrack sections. As I dropped down into the valley before the gravel climb I could feel that my rear tyre was a little soft, by the top of the climb I was wearing latex leggings thanks to another puncture - you've got to be kidding me. It didn't want to seal so I ended up making the move to put in a tube knowing full well that any chance of doing well had gone out of the window. Typically the tyre decided to seal just after I broke a tyre lever. With this being the last lap I decided to go for it and just hoped that the sealant would do it's job for a little while longer. 

I managed to finish the race in 18th, slightly disappointing but am glad it was a mechanical failure that was the issue this time around. 

Local rider James Braid won the Sport Category with Chris came in second and Adam Buckland in third. Well done to all of you. 

 photo 8650130754_b5dc833663_o_zpsa5a22e2f.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment