Tuesday 7 May 2013

Dyfi Enduro 2013

Dyfi logo photo Dyfilogo_zpsb9fe87f0.jpg

The Dyfi Enduro is probably the most exciting non-competitive race of the year. I've not come across another event that can match it for the arduous climbs, exhilarating descents and breathtaking views. Throw in some razor sharp rocks and anything can happen! Entry went live at the start of February and sold out in a record 20 minutes showing just how popular this event is.

At 10:30 I was queuing at the front of start line with the likely top 10 such as Matt Page, Huw Thomas, Gareth Payne, Jonny Pugh and also a guest appearance from Ajay Pandit Chhantri, the Nepalese National Champion.

At 11:00 the horn is sounded and we're lead out of Mach. The 4 mile ride along the road certainly warms you up while trying to work yourself through to the front of the pack . The van peels away and the lead group are off like shit off a shovel. I'm quite happy making my way up at a slightly higher than normal speed knowing that any bottlenecking at the first singletrack section can really hold you back. Regretting my decision to wear a base layer I'm stripping off and throwing it to my family at the top of the first climb - rookie move!

The Dyfi is well know for dishing out a good sized portion of mechanical issues and the first downhill claims claims a victim in front of me. Knowing what it's like and my recent track record of punctures I'm taking it easy on the downs hoping I can make time up on the ascents.

 photo DyfiEnduro_zpsd91e1862.jpg 

The first 10 miles goes well and I'm feeling strong on all of the uphills. I'm passing a decent amount of riders with only a few overtaking me. Passing CP9 I see Matt Page on the opposite side of tape and I'm not sure whether he's in a front group or how far it would be to circle around to that point. A short while later I find myself in the same place and realise he has pulled back due to his Coast to Coast attempt the day after.

The course up to the feed station was a bit of a blur - trying to maintain a decent pace uphill and taking care on shaley downhills sections smelling burning brake pads. The feed station marks 2/3rd of the course so after topping up I set off with one of the Clee Cycles riders who was well above my ability so I eventually conceded and let him go ahead. It was this point last year that cramp had well and truly set in. Although I could feel it brewing my legs were feeling good.

Dicko's bar marks the last stand and a 2km sign brings hope - the sign of lies!! From here it is several more climbs until we eventually hit the final descent to the welcoming sounds of the finish line.

A much improved result for me bettering lasts years time by 25 minutes and coming 75th out of the 800 odd entrants. Full results available HERE.

Relieved to have finished, the next challenge was the 6 mile ride back to the finish line to collect a well earned mug!

Top 3 - 1st = Nick Craig, 2hr26; 2nd = Jonny Pugh, 2hr32, 3rd = Dave Collins, 2hr35.

No comments:

Post a Comment