Monday 20 May 2013

Stevens Enduro, Queen Elizabeth Country Park

 photo 945984_447258282030651_1812207421_n_zps53486a9b.jpg

I missed last years event as I was away so this was one for this years calendar especially as it's on my doorstep. The event was put on by Hargroves Cycles and was part of the QE Cyclefest which allowed you to mock the beardy-wierdies who were demo-ing 650B and 29ers for the first time.

In the few weeks leading up to the event there had been discussions with the organisers over course choice. Last year some found the course too hard so Hargroves Cycles had addressed this by putting on a course that was mainly fire road climbs and descents with the final red trail singletrack descent. After comments from various people they changed the course with a wet option in case weather conditions changed which proved to be a tough but much more enjoyable course. 

 photo null_zps4c84eb7d.jpg
The fastest I would ride for four hours right here...!

Tthe time to line up and listen to the riders briefing came and soon after we were off. In my usual stupid way I found myself riding up the first climb along side James Braid of Wiggle, Al Fairbairn of Singular Bikes and a few others. An unrealistic pace for me unless I was hoping to only do one lap. I eased off and had a few riders overtake me including Tom Morris, a PNE rider who I knew should do well. I got into a steady rhythm and entered the first singletrack section with two others. Eventually I managed to drop them and continued on my way through lumberjacks until eventually hitting snakebites and then the final descent down to the start arena. 

On my second lap things started getting confusing. Track changes were being made cutting out sections but this meant that if you missed it then it have other riders the opportunity to get in front of you. I was totally confused when I was overtaking other riders who were definitely behind me being as it was too early in the race for lapping to happen. 

After a couple of laps things settled down and it was easier to work out where we were going. Tiredness was setting in as the trails around QECP are demanding at the best of times so a 4 hour ride would certainly make an impression on the legs! 

As the light started to fade the lights went on and sounds from the bushes started almost immediately. I started with a bar mounted light but had a helmet torch if things got too dark. I probably should've put it on but I didn't want to risk losing too much time faffing about. In the final hour tiredness had well and truly struck. People started overtaking me and my legs felt like lead. An old knee injury also reappeared which didn't do much for my confidence. I'm pretty sure there were points where I was falling asleep as all of a sudden I would end up in a bush or playing pinball between the track edges. The evening dew was also providing some entertainment providing a nice slick coating to the abundance of roots within the park. 

 photo null_zpsf10537cd.jpg

Half way around a lap I came across local rider Stewart Wheeler who was suffering with cramp. We rode together to the finish line. Time was getting on and we weren't sure if we would cross the line before 10:00pm meaning another lap was possible or if we would be saved by it being a few seconds over - I know which one I was hoping for. Coming down the final fire road section into the start arena the cheers from the crowd greeted us to a welcome finish. 

All in all an excellent race with only course marking letting it down. massive thanks to the banter from the QECP Collective whose endless enthusiasm fuelled the riders.


1  Johannes Sickmuller Stevens  04:06:17
2  Al Fairbairn Singular Cycles  04:06:34
3  Tom Morris 04:34:28

15   Emyr Griffiths  04:04:01

1 comment:

  1. I will race this year...last time I just stood around with my camera.

    ReplyDelete