Sunday 16 June 2013

Winchester Crit - 16th June

By a stroke of luck I found out that a couple of crits were being held at Winchester Park and Ride over the weekend. More importantly they were Cat4 only which meant I could have a bit of practice riding in a group in a slightly more forgiving atmosphere.

I rocked up to a pretty empty looking car park and went to sign on to find out that only four other people had signed up. I was hoping for a full field so I could compare this ride against my last hideous attempt. After a bit of a warm up 9 of us were lining up on the start line. The whistle sounded and we were off at some ridiculous pace that I was hoping would only last for a couple of laps before easing back. Trying to learn from last time I stuck to the back of the group trying to take advantage of their slipstream whilst also watching their lines to further my experience. 

Within a couple of laps the group was spread out and three individual groups were forming. Three guys went off the front with a strong pace while I was trying to stick to the back wheel of the guy in 8th. It didn't take too long until I was spat out of the back but I was adamant not to lose site of the guy in 8th place. I pushed the best I could and after a while I was becoming more confident on the bike. A sharp hairpin on the final straight was a difficult corner to get to grips with but before the end of the race I was trusting the tyres more and more meaning I was hitting it quicker which was a good thing as my legs were killing on all the other sections! 

Eventually the checkered flag was in sight and I finished in 9th which meant last place again but at least this time I didn't feel well and truly embarrassed.   With a bit of luck I may have accrued a point which will mean another 9 races with 9 people or less and I can finally do a proper road race which will suit me better. 



No comments:

Post a Comment