Sunday 8 September 2013

Southern XC round 5: Avon Tyrrel

I had been looking forward to this round for a while. Southern XC had been giving away glimpses of course on Facebook and I was itching for the days to pass quickly so I could have a go on the jumps section - who said xc racing wasn't fun?!

Race weekend started with Park Run on Saturday morning which would have been great if it wasn't for slightly twisting my ankle on a rock. A few hours later and I'm cooking a curry only to nick my finger resulting in a bloody chopping board. I end the evening with my cold manifesting itself so sod it - Ibuprofen and bed. Bad things really do happen in threes don't they....

Race morning arrives and I'm pretty chilled but excited to race. A downside to racing at 2pm is that you have a long Sunday morning waiting for the start whistle. After sign on I set off for a practice lap to see what is in store. The course is mainly virgin ground and surprisingly after the last few days it was dry. The course suits me. Tight, twisty, flowing sections with the usual uphill kickers that are all too familiar from the Southern XC guys. 

2 o'clock comes around and the riders are called forward for gridding putting me in 6th position. On the whistle Wiggle's James Braid steamed off to lead the Sport category into the woods. There was a bit of tussling up front and I went into the woods in 7th place. On a right hander the unimaginable happened and my front tyre came off the rim - argh!!! I'm adamant I'm not finishing the last race of the series with a DNF so I put a tube in and crack on. Only a few minutes passed but the other riders were already gone. I hammered it the best I could. My legs felt pretty good and I was doing my best to try and catch up but I felt the effort may be in vein but I wanted to do my best... and hopefully not finish in last place. 

My first lap went well with only a few mistakes and I was soon passing under the start banner for my second lap. The commentator announced I was in 17th position - last place. I'm pushing on taking care as I pass the place where I blew my tyre off. It's not long until I catch up with the next rider and after a slight breather I manage to get past. I can see another rider in front but by now I'm unable to distinguish between sports and masters. I'm trying to catch up and my legs are hurting. I enter a tight s-bend a bit too quickly and don't quite make the turn. A branch catches my bars and pulls my bars to the right while my body wants to go left, thankfully it was soft! I'm back on quickly and head off toward the sounds of the start arena. The guy in front is back in my sights and as quick as a flash he goes down, checking he's ok I crack on to finish my second lap. 

The third lap and my legs are really hurting. I'm not feeling particularly fast but I push on. With tiredness setting in for all the riders another sport rider comes into sight in the distance. I caught up quicker than anticipated after he punctures - an all too familiar conversation at the finish line later. 

I cross the line in 14th place. A bit gutting at the end of the day but unfortunately that's racing. 



All in all a great day of racing and the rain held off! Southern XC have put on a great series this year and I'm already looking forward to next year. Many thanks guys and girls

No comments:

Post a Comment