Tuesday 6 May 2014

Dyfi Enduro 2014

The Dyfi Enduro is my favourite event of the year. Take it as you want, a chilled ride with like minded people or hammer it and race against some of the top UK riders.

As usual the Dyfi starts with me and the brother-in-law Gareth Payne queuing at the front of the starting grid. Standing shoulder to shoulder with the top racers like Huw Thomas, Neal Crampton, Matt Page and Dan Evans. After a safety briefing the group move forward to the archway and to keep up with tradition I some how move from the front of the group to about a 100 places back.

The motorbike leads us out through the town at an average speed of what would only be deemed sensible if using 700cc wheels. At the bottom of the first fire road climb the motorbike pulls off and the race is on to get to first singletrack section to avoid the bottlenecking.  

In less than two miles I suffered my first puncture. Annoyingly all of which only became apparent on fire road climbs. My front wheel squirted some sealant but a quick stop and it sealed allowing me to crack on. It wouldn't be long until my rear would follow suit. Unfortunately I would be so lucky with it dealing and within no time I had latex covered ankles. Not wanting to mess about I put a tube in, unfortunately this wouldn't last to long either.

I  pushed on the best I could trying to climb and descend as safely and quickly as possible. At the feed station I decided to put in a while new tube. Luckily this would hold up for the rest of the race but unfortunately the same was done.

I didn't finish in the top 100 where I wanted to be but at least with the amount of punctures I got to enjoy the latter part of the ride and just ride for the sake of riding.

Next year... there's always a next year

No comments:

Post a Comment