Wednesday 3 September 2014

A Cycling - The Monster



When a new event is described as being the toughest UK sportive and that some entrants aren't likely to finish, the first thought is that you have to be a part of this. A few weeks later and the ride pack comes through a cold sweat starts. What have I just done?!

Matt Page set out with one aim to create a sportive unlike any other. Days later as I hobble around the office I can say that he certainly succeeded.

Leaving Llangadog a little after 9am I immediately forgot what I had told others about pacing myself. With the lead group averaging 20mph towards the first climb I had to force myself to ease back. In no time we're hitting the first climb, aptly named as 'steep' on Strava. The sudden reality of what we had in store hit home especially as this climb hadn't been picked up on the twelve major climbs listed in the ride pack!

Michael Fish let us down almost as soon as we arrived at the base of Epynt Mountain when the mist and rain rolled in and stayed with us for the majority of the mid section which just happened to be the hardest part. Having ridden the road between Abergwesyn to Tregaron only a few months earlier it was the section I was dreading the most especially as it's probably the most difficult of the ride. Devils Staircase, Nant y Brain and the Phonebox climb are horrendous, cramp inducing, near vertical stretches that will test anyone who dares try them. To put them in the middle of a 120 mile ride... well that's pure pure evil. 


Leaving Tregaron on what I once considered to be familiar roads, hills appeared to have increased in height worsened by the fact my legs were also suffering. I met up with Gareth Hayes on route suffering from the aftermath of a puncture and we spent a while riding together until finally his faster pace took him beyond my abilities. 

With Brechfa Forest in sight the end of the pain was drawing nearer. Passing Dad's house in Rhydcymerau and riding the road to  Llanllwni Mountain the climb I wondered how I was ever able to climb it on a bmx as a kid. For the first time in the ride I was able to take in some of the amazing views from the mountain - how I miss these now I live in Hampshire. For some reason the prospect of the downhill into Brechfa gave me something to look forward to. Something nice about a familiar downhill that is quiet, windy and smooth. 



By the final feed station I'm running on empty and a can of coke was a very welcome pick me up. The steep climbs from this point were just pure agony while the lesser gradients didn't seem to be such an issue. I was so glad when the final climb was over leaving the final descent gave some welcome respite before the final  flat that lead back into Llangadog where coffee and cake were waiting... and the coveted finisher tshirt!

This was probably the hardest riding I have ever done and made my experience at the Twentyfour12 look like a picnic in comparison. Will I be doing it again next year... DEFINITELY!

Event Report from A Cycling - HERE

Event Results - HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment