Monday 16 February 2015

Ludgershall Crit rd7

Just before the series ends I was persuaded to have a go at the Ludgershall race series. I've not got the best track record when it comes to crits although the end game racing in a  road race is far too appealing and this is a necessary evil. 

The course is a purpose built military test track and is essentially an oval with a small chicane leading into the final corner. I was pre-warned of the course conditions with its leaf litter and ruts. When you're imagining the worst its a pleasant surprise to find out it's no worse than some of your local roads.

After signing on it was a bit of a rush (late getting up as usual) to get the bikes ready and have a quick warm up around the track. From the start line there is a small incline which means a small descent on the other side but riding around it appears as if it is unrelenting flat. A couple of laps and its time to grid.


I gridded towards the rear awaiting the inevitable last place final position. There were a lot entering the Cat4 race so it ended up being split into two groups with mine, the odds going first.  OUt of the few races I've done this was the biggest turn out which made me slightly nervous but also slightly excited. With a gentle start I was floating between the back and the middle of the pack quite comfortably for a few laps. A momentary lapse of concentration while near the back and I missed a kick in the pace and the group started to string out. The few riders in front of me didn't seem too worried about the other riders disappearing up the track so I had to go off on my own and try and catch up on my own. With their speed continually increasing I now found myself in between the two  groups and the lack of support was quickly tiring what previously felt like fresh legs. After a couple of laps the rear group caught up with me again and we started working together to try and get back in the race but the lead pack were on a mission and we wouldn't be seeing them again until they caught up with us from behind. Passing the start line I was greeted by the marshall with flag raised. There had been an accident on the straight involving Danny. Even after 15 years of racing I still find it hard to just carry on when I see people are hurt and at the side of the track but on this occasion I thought I'd see him again in 1min40... he'll be alright. 

By now three riders riders from my group had eased off leaving just myself and Mitch and between us managed to keep the momentum going until the steam train that was the main group started catching up with us again.  The bell rang for the final the laps rang and we were all in a single group again (myself -1 lap). These laps went quickly and in no time we were into the final corner. Mitch turned to me and said may as well sit back and watch but I've never been in a bunch sprint so wanted to see what out was like. Exiting the final corner I kicked and went over the line.

Although it's nothing to shout out about I'm really glad to have got 12th place out of 15 finishers. Not coming last has been a major boost to my confidence and now can't wait until next weekend, 


No comments:

Post a Comment