Saturday 28 February 2015

Ludgershall Crit round 9

After my last race and seeing the repercussions of Danny Tonkin's accident I think the pre-race nerves that build up as you enter Ludgershall village are more about what could happen rather than the riding itself. Today would prove that theory...

Arriving in the parking ground it was evident that this was going to be another big field and the Cat4s would be split into two groups. Hoping to go for a group ride after I tried to get in into the first race but sods law meant I was in the second group which at least meant I had time for a warm up. With a decent warm up turbo trainer (apologies, that was me on the trainer that sounds like a jet engine) it was nearing 9:30 and the time for my race to start. At the start line it was evident that the first race hadn't started their final three laps and I was rapidly cooling down in the bleak conditions. I should have gone and kept warm but talking with the other racers made seemed more convenient. After what felt like an eternity and with early onset of frostbite (there was only two of us in shorts but even the other person wasn't stupid enough to wear mitts) the final bell rang and the first race was over. 


The commissaire gave a brief speech and we were off. From the off an Army rider put in at least 10 bike lengths into the group so everybody followed suit and went off in pursuit. There seemed to be a bit of nervousness in the pack from the start with several riders unable to keep their line and I nearly got pushed out on the first lap. For the next few laps Tom Morris' previous words of safety were ringing in my ear and I opted for the outside of corners just to ensure a safer line. Unfortunately this was proving far to slow especially while the pack were accelerating out of the corner into the straights and I was struggling to keep up. I had to go for the inside line for the rest of the race if I wanted to ensure sticking with the pack and limit fatigue before the final few laps. I had to be cautious of the wandering riders and those slippery leaf ridden areas.



18 minutes in and tiredness and cold was obviously hitting some of the riders and the wandering off line was getting worse and I was pushed off my line again and into one of the many ruts I have tried to avoid. While coming out of the rut my back wheel fish tailed, I would like to describe it in likeness to some of the recent Bernard Kerr videos, drifting and kicking up roost, but back in the real world it was squeaky bum time and pure luck I didn't come off. 

My Garmin was showing 25 minutes as we passed the start line and I was convinced we were about to get the 3 lap warning but alas we wouldn't see it for another lap. The speed was constantly picking up and I felt good and tried to make a move up the inside line until I was just behind the front few but I couldn't maintain the pace that the others were now showing. The final bell rang and it was tough going sticking with the pack. I had one rider come too close to me again and I jabbed the brakes to avoid a collision , I slowed and the pack continued on. A sprint to catch up with the group and my legs felt empty. Coming around the bend into the final straight and my legs were empty. Standing, siting, neither had power but I crossed the line in 15th place.

Very happy to finish the ride with the pack. Now looking forward to the next race where I hope to improve the positions and hopefully get at least one point. 

RESULTS

1. William Blunt (Army Cycling Union)
2. Toby Franks (Outdoor Trading Cycling Club)
3. William Gregory (Performance Cycling)

A shout out to Ed Tibbetts who I met today who crossed the line in first place only to then be disqualified for an illegal move. 


No comments:

Post a Comment