Wednesday 20 December 2017

Brass Monkey #1



Sunday morning at Frith Hill was cold. Brass Monkey by name brass monkey by nature. The usual pre start questing of clothing and then it's shoulder to shoulder at the start line. 

After a late start it's a dash for the first singletrack. I placed well entering the first descent and was able to gain a few spots early on. The first lap was quick, despite recent conditions the track was dry and rolling well. A welcome surprise given I couldn't be bothered to change from my summer tyres. I settled into a rhythm and was riding with two others for the remainder of the lap. 


After the second lap we were starting to catch up with some of the 2 hour riders ahead of us whilst also catching up with the back of the pack. This gave an opportunity for us to try and use these riders as an opportunity to split up the three amigos. Eventually were down to two and then I'm on my own. The 2 hour mark is fast approaching and thankfully the strat arena is within earshot. I catch up with another rider and manage to overtake, unfortunately he wasn't in my category but I sly an Owens Cycles rider and attempt to catch up. Jumping the final log there was a subtle but familiar feeling of cramp in my quads. On the final steep climb into the open cramp well and truly sets in and I do the robot to the top. Eventually legs return to normal and I roll past the finish line. A cracking race and was pleased to finish in 15th place with team mate Dave Bone coming in third.

No comments:

Post a Comment